I wanted to share five of the art prints I created from my tulip photoshoot in April. I used a soft watercolor technique on all five prints. I certainly had a number of shots to work with and I narrowed those down to ten. After working with all ten and satisfied with what I had created, I saved them and didn’t revisit them until the end of last week. I spend so much time with each print making numerous changes, etc until I feel like I have a completed piece of art. I found over the years that by “sitting” on them for a week or two, I can view them with a lot less bias and narrow that group down to what I like the most. I go through the narrowing process a few times until I don’t see the need anymore. Having said all that, following are the final five:
(on a personal note: our third grandchild entered the world this last week. He is our second grandson and arrived on the projected birth date….go figure. All are doing well!!)
In keeping with floral pictures like last week, I thought I would share a process I often go through to arrive at a print that I like and looks good. Sometimes the final product is the original capture and in cases like this post it’s the starting point to create something better. Having said that, the following pictures start with the original photographic capture and the resulting two art prints created from that.
Back up 10 years ago right after I had upgraded my 35mm camera. I was getting use to all the options it offered and made a number of experimentation shots I usually don’t share. This is one of them. I was working on the macro focus, lighting, exposure and as always framing the subject. I took a series of shots of an orchid plant we had on our patio. This was just a few in a series of shots I did that day and didn’t really have a chance to look at all of them until later. Of all the shots of the blooms from this plant, attached was one that I liked only because of the framing of the macro shot. My next step was to take the file into my digital art programs and start working on changing the look of the capture into something I liked.
I worked through the various options I had to create a change in the appearance. I kept with the actual framing of the original, but started working on the lighting and coloring to create a more interesting art print. I softened it with just a slight touch of a watercolor presentation.
I then decided to create more of a soft watercolor look and that is the next one.
I liked them for different reasons and decided to keep both in my gallery. As a side note it was six shots of that particular plant that day that led to one capture I wanted to work with.
I thought I would celebrate spring blooms this week, so I have attached four art prints I created using a watercolor technique. I included one agapanthus and three rose blooms. The agapanthus are blooming here in Southern California and the roses I have lining our front walkway are in full bloom!! Enjoy!!